Strokestown House and Walled Gardens are the centrepiece of an 18th-century Anglo-Irish country estate. Strokestown Park was built by Thomas Mahon MP (1701-1782) on lands which had been granted to his grandfather, Nicholas, in the latter half of the 17th century for his support in the British colonial campaign. The grand Palladian Mansion was modified circa 1730 to designs by the celebrated architect Richard Castle and was the seat of the Mahon family since 1653, with fine state rooms, a very fine example of an 18th-century galleried kitchen and vaulted stables.
A guided tour of the House gives an intimate insight into life in the Big House, upstairs and downstairs surrounded by the original furnishings. The House is unchanged from the time when the Mahons lived there, as seen in the photographs on display.